In 2012, Kurly Kichana aims to bring you more skincare and product reviews..we shall not keep any secrets from you guys! Starting off, a product that is a household name in baby care; Sudocreme. The product is marketed as a Nappy Rash cream, Yes nappy rash lol! If its good enough for baby's bottom it must be great for my face.
Here is whats its manufacturers say,
· A water-repellent base forms a protective barrier, helping to stop any irritants (urine and faeces) coming into contact with the skin.
· It both softens and soothes sore, inflamed skin.
· It has a weak local anaesthetic to help ease pain and irritation.
So what gives Sudocrem its healing properties? Here’s the science bit:
· hypoallergenic lanolin, to help soothe and soften irritated skin.
· zinc oxide which reduces the loss of tissue fluid.
· benzyl benzoate and benzyl cinnamate which are ingredients of Balsam of Peru, recognised for its healing properties.
· benzyl alcohol, a weak local anaesthetic which eases pain and also acts as a disinfectant/antibacterial agent.
As a protective antiseptic cream, Sudocrem is also helpful in the treatment of other skin conditions. http://www.sudocrem.co.uk/
The cream has a strong lavender scent, which if your not used to can smell quite medicinal. However this disappears a short while after application
For 125gms, you can buy the cream in Nakumatt or major baby shops for about Kshs 800. It may seem pricey but 125gms could last you at least 6months.
It is very thick and sometimes can be difficult to apply, however once applied it sinks into skin very easily. The cream can leave a white cast to the skin especially darker skin tones hence it is best to use it at night and if you must use it during the day, make sure to wait at least 7 mins for it to sink in completely into the skin
- Use the cream every other night to keep your skin spot and blemish free
- Use sudocreme as a moisturising face mask, leave it on for 15mins then wash off
- Sudocreme on spots or mosquito bites works brilliantly to reduce the inflammation and redness. This is fully tested by the Kurly Kichana team, works a treat
- Its also works great for sunburn, minor burns and bruises