We've been laying low, we know; we're stuck in a realm of insanity where we are trying to prepare for the Nairobi Marathon, beat work deadlines and manage our so called lives.
So now that we are slowly rejoining the land of the living... We have a question for you, more than one actually.
Let me start from the beginning.
More often than not, people who meet us assume that at least one of us has a tattoo. We get that all the time. I don't know why... Whatever the case, let me clear that up for you, neither of us do. We are completely tattoo free. But trust me when I tell you we have thought about it, and more than once, come damn near close to getting inked over the years. However, for some unfathomable reason, we always chicken out.
Let's face it, a tattoo is a HUGE commitment. There are so many factors to consider; I could attempt to list our major concerns... just so you don't dub us as flaky or yellow-bellied... WE AREN'T! We just want to be sure and ready. Anyway here goes;
1. What image(s) should I have forever etched onto my glorious skin? This is by far the hardest question of all.
2. What is the significance of the image? Is there a need for significance? Can't I just get a flame encrusted skull with rose petals just because I can!? What if it's just a temporary fad that I will come to loathe? (Remember the star tattoo craze from a few years back? Yeah I came this close...)
3. Which part of my body shall bear this symbol? Do I want to show it off or keep it discrete? Which parts hurt the most? Which areas will stretch out over time? Will it affect any of my future plans/ prospects?
4. Just how big should it be?
5. Would coloured tattoos blend well on my unique skin tone?
6. Will the tattoo smoothen/ blend over time or will it be the raised kind? (We are fond of the smooth variety)
7. What will happen to the tattoo as my body undergoes inevitable changes? Will my skin stretch with the tattoo and magically transform my Koi fish tattoo into a dragon?
8. Where will I get it done in this fine city of ours? How much will this cost? (comments please!)
9. Will the detail eventually turn into a green blob over time? (This is our biggest fear)
Granted, majority of these questions are quite personal. We are dying to hear your opinions. For those of you who have tattoos, what was your experience like? Any regrets? Any praise you would like to put forth?
For those of you who are opposed to getting inked, share your thoughts as well! Be they spiritual, health related or otherwise.... All opinions are welcome.
Over to you my dears.
Enjoy the day.