There’s a lot to love about being natural; I could go all day counting down the whys and the wherefores. But, there are times my friends, times and incidences that make me go ‘Aaaaaargh!’, as a natural sister.
That's me blowing up...
1. Detangling. I hate it. My arms get tired and the shred hair depresses me. I hate it when I get impatient and the sound of my ripping hair reminds me who’s boss. Detangling! Aaaaaargh!
2. Suggestions/ inferences/ comments from friends, family and random citizens. “Girl you need to perm your hair!”, “Why don’t you loc it?”, “Are you some sort of neo-soul artist?” “Are you a member of an illegal sect?” “What are you trying to prove?” “Don’t worry, I know a GREAT hair stylist; he may be able to help you.
3. Buying the wrong product. I hate it when I hurriedly grab a bottle of shampoo instead of conditioner and discover this grievous error just as I’m in the shower ready to co-wash. Super sigh. I can’t be bothered to return an item once I buy it. This has happened twice this year.
4. Black men who don’t like natural hair and make fun of it. SM(N)H.
5. Fails. When you see an amazing style on the internet, eagerly try it out at home for hours only to end up with a birds nest on your head. Super fail.
6. Weave/ wig checkers. I generally hate it when people grab and touch my hair without the common decency to even ask … But what really gets to me is this;
Random Girl: “Uh girl, your hair is too cute,”
Me: “Oh thanks I –"
Random Girl: “OMG, it’s YOUR hair! Wow.” Random Girl smiles and walks away.
Me: (to myself) “You’ve just been weave-checked biatch.”
7. Split ends/ fairy knots. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh!
8. Unnecessarily mean/ rude comments. Nyachomba and I hit the club a while back; freakum dresses on, heels check, make-up on just right and BAAs double-check. We owned it. As we took our ritual visit to the ladies, some two mean girls were just leaving when one of them glared at us and said,
Fugly Weave wearing heffa: “Don’t these girls own combs?”
Nyash and I: Sad faces
9. Timus inappropriatus. Don’t you just hate it when you set aside an entire day to do either a luscious deep-conditioning session, or a heena treatment, twist-and-a-movie day in, etc and then all of a sudden, your phone goes off;
Every friend in Phone Book: “Woman! Where the hell are you! Party over here! Get down here NOW that cute boy you like is asking for you!”
10. The Drippies. Nuff said.
11. Not completely dry twist-out. I hate it when I ambitiously rush an over-night twist and attempt a twist out the next day only to discover that there are bits that didn’t quite dry up and by midday my hair looks like my good old regular fro. Not a wave or clumped curl in sight.
12. Running low on supplies in the middle of the month. Solution! Sleep over at Nyash’s!
Oh well, c’est la vie, no? Tis the path I chose and I must bear the bumps ahead… but you know what; it’s all a part of the process. I love every second of this natural hair journey, curses, fails, fist shaking and all. The good days are SO worth it and you’ll be glad to note that there are more good days than bad.
What things make YOU want to punch a baby seal? I’m dying to read them.
Thanks for reading!