The trendy women are going natural, this was the opening line of an article in the Sunday Nation Newspaper in the Buzz section of the paper (July 18th, 2010). Upon looking at the front page I was actually looking forward to reading the article. Shock, Horror, Disbelief!!A local Kenyan "celebrity" with as my family have described it a head with a chickens comb meant to represent a mohawk. No offence to the "celebrity" in question. But in no way does a plastic, red coloured weave represent the awesomeness that is natural hair.
This post is in no way out to rant and or hate on any people out there. I am just saddened by how much ignorance there is on natural hair in my beloved country . I will go into the points that I disagreed and agreed with in the article.
- It is true especially in the African context that natural hair especially dreadlocks can translate to one being a liberal. However this school of thought is slowly being forgotten.
- Creamy crack not white crack. Nuff said
- I think stating that Natural hair had an unsophisticated image is not right and I am here to prove that that is not the case at all.....Help me ladies
- This is a shocker!!! This statement was just ridiculous, Clip ons and extensions that imitate afro hair grow more common and acceptable. Dumbfounded..ladies please try explain what exactly this journalist is trying to put across
- Afro hair can be curled with a gel, gather sheen with a hair polish. By the time I got to this part of the article I was fuming.
To the author of the article, I shall not name any names. Please try and do your research and give useful information for any naturals- to- be out there. You have an amazing platform i.e. The Sunday Nation which could be used to make young girls/women across the country love and appreciate the hair that sprouts out of their scalp as well as an educational tool for mothers who are about to slap some scalp rotting relaxers on their babies heads. I do appreciate your attempt at making natural hair cool though.
By the way I humbly apologise for the lack of posts, I have been away on some trips and also work been kicking my booty lol. Loads more posts coming soon
Happy Hair Growing